Magic is a charming miniature therapy horse who provides comfort and cuddles to whoever needs them most. She spends most of her time at a farm based in North Florida, though she travels more than most humans do! Magic is a member of Gentle Carousel Miniature Therapy Horses, a volunteer run non-profit. Magic and 25 other therapy horses visit people of all different ages in many different states, whether it be in hospitals, hospice programs, reading programs, or special events!
Some interesting facts about Magic:
- Magic is fully potty trained! She can tell her handler when she needs to go.
- She visits around 5000 adults and children each and every year.
- Magic is a Deputy with the Alachua County Sheriffs Office
- Time Magazine named Magic one of History’s 10 Most Courageous Animals- she is the only living animal on the list!
- AARP named her Most Heroic Pet In America
- Magic is a Breyer Portrait Model Horse
- The Daily Mirror named her “One of Seven Most Notable Animal Heroes in the World” in 2014
- She is pet hero of the year for 2016, voted by the Florida Veterinary Medical Association Hall of Fame
Like Gizmo (our therapy animal of May), Magic had a big role to play after the tragic events of Sandy Hook in December of 2012. Magic and her handlers had no idea that so many survivors, siblings, parents, and even first responders would show up to visit with her. Over 600 people waited patiently in line for Magic, and for almost four hours Magic greeted each and every one of them, providing as much love and comfort as she could. Since the response to Magic’s presence was so great, her one week stay in Sandy Hook turned to two, and since then she has returned several times to connect with all the friends she’s made.
The A Connection film team recognizes a special animal when we see one, and Magic is definitely very special. Her love, tenderness and her ability to sniff out those who need help most are what make Magic such an amazing, special animal. That’s why she’s our Therapy Animal of the Month!
If you would like to learn more about Magic or her co-workers, please don’t hesitate to contact Gentle Carousel.
Gentle Carousel Miniature Therapy Horses
Don’t forget to like our Facebook page for regular updates on our film about Animal Therapy!